102: Matías Vernengo on John Maynard Keynes and the Evolution of Keynesian Economic Thinking
Matías Vernengo is Professor of Economics at Bucknell University, Pennsylvania, USA.
Dr. Vernengo is co-author of ‘Conta de Juros Grande & Favela’ and has also edited four books including ‘Banking, Monetary Policy and the Political Economy of Financial Regulation – Essays in the Tradition of Jane D’Arista’.
He has published over fifty academic and popular articles, and contributes to the blogs Naked Keynesianism and Triple Crisis. He is also the co-editor of the Review of Keynesian Economics (ROKE).
Matías’ methodological view emphasizes the importance of the history of ideas for the development of economic theory, and is based on the surplus approach of the classical political economy authors and Marx and the heterodox followers of Keynes.
Dr. Vernengo has written on the effects of external liberalization in Latin America and alternatives to the Washington Consensus, on the international role of the dollar, on current monetary and fiscal policy, on macroeconomic policy during the 1930s and on the history of economic ideas.
In this episode, Matías discusses and mentions: Keynesian economics, neo-Keynesianism, Animal Spirits, monetarists, uncertainty, rational expectations, wages, GDP< consumption, multiplier,
In this episode, Matías discusses and mentions: John Maynard Keynes, Joan Robinson, Karl Marx, Ricardo, Frank Knight, Joseph Schumpeter, Milton Friedman, Robert Lucas, Alvin Hansen, Robert Solow, James Tobin, Paul Samuelson, George Akerlof, Robert Shiller, Larry Summers, Alan Blinder, Ben Bernanke, Christina Romer and Janet Yellen.
Professor Matías Vernengo’s Writing Tips:
- Think of your audience and write for them.
- Present at conferences and get great feedback. It also gets your work out there.
- Plan carefully. Write your paper so that it is a good fit to each journal that you’re sending it to.
Where to Find Matías:
The Economic Consequences of Mr. Churchill by J. M. Keynes
- The Cambridge Colloquium, 1916: Part 2, Analysis Situs by O. Veblen
- Can Lloyd George Do It? An Examination of the Liberal Pledge by J.M. Keynes and H. D. Henderson
- The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money by J. M. Keynes
- A Treatise on Probability by J. M. Keynes
- The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time by K. Polanyi
- The American Economy by W. Greason, W. Gorman and M. Ziobro
- Production of Commodities by Means of Commodities : Prelude to a Critique of Economic Theory by P. Sraffa
- Animal Spirits: How Human Psychology Drives the Economy, and Why It Matters for Global Capitalism by G. Akerlof and R. Shiller
- Phishing For Fools: The Economics of Manipulation and Deception by G. Akerlof and R. Shiller