064: Oliver Payne on Transitioning from a Marketing Creative to a Behavioral Scientist
Since the late 2000’s Oliver has been working with psychology specifically through The Hunting Dynasty looking to find and build interventions that change behaviour.
Oliver is the author of ‘Inspiring Sustainable Behaviour: 19 Ways To Ask For Change’ which wrangles together environmental and social psychology, behavioural economics, and decision theory.
He is an advisor on the Influence Advisory Panel populated by experts from academia, politics, military, government and civil society.
Oliver is a speaker on behaviour at NATO (Latvia), for Government departments (Whitehall), Start-ups (Netherlands), Science Museum (London) and others.
Oliver’s company The Hunting Dynasty recently won the Gold Retail Nudge Award for 2015 for their ability to increase the comprehension level of a customer-facing product description.
In this episode you will learn:
- why Oliver gave up a career in marketing to set up The Hunting Dynasty.
- what Behavioral Economics and psychology has taught Oliver about human behavior and how he offers solutions to problems faced by companies.
- about some behavioral studies and how we can manipulate the environment to change people’s behavior.
- why the behavioral studies carried out by The Fun Theory could be wrong.
- how we can improve recycling and reduce littering.
- about the future of driverless cars.
- ‘Inspiring Sustainable Behaviour: 19 Ways To Ask For Change’ by Oliver Payne